The York course is rich in quotations which reflect the experience of others, in ways that may describe our own experience. Here is a selection: one from each of the five sessions.
1) The Queen: I have been very grateful to you [us] for your prayers, and to God for His steadfast love. I have indeed seen his faithfulness. I draw strength from the message of hope in the Christian Gospel
2) Kate Gross: Compassion has to be practised.. maybe a bit like yoga, but without the heavy breathing...igf it is to become a habit.
3) Queen Elizabeth First: Trust God the word that spake it. He took the Bread and brake it, And what the word did make it, That I believe and take it.
4) George Bernard Shaw: I believe in the discipline of silence, and can speak for ever about it.
5) Pope John XXIII (on his approaching death): Don't be too worried. My bags are packed, and I'm ready to go home.